Devils don’t rain on Strikers parade

Redlands United have gone down 1-0 to Brisbane Strikers on Saturday night at Perry Park.

A twelfth-minute penalty to Jeremy Stewart sealed Strikers the three points and the top spot on the PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland ladder until Gold Coast City play on Sunday night as they continue their Premiership defence.


Redlands were missing experienced midfielder Graham Fyfe, who had been suffering a niggling hip injury while newly sign Llyod Harrington also missed the match.

Redlands dominated early after a miscommunication in the Strikers defensive line allowed Reuben Douglas in on goal, but his shot is just wide of the post.

Despite the early chances, Redlands could not convert in front of goal and it allowed for the Strikers to apply pressure to the Redlands defence but young goalkeeper James Edgar stood strong on his line.

Minutes later, Strikers midfielder Ethan Docherty was brought down inside the box after a clumsy challenge by a Redlands defender. Stewart sent Edgar the wrong way, gifting Strikers the lead.

There was little chance from either side for the remainder of the first half as the forwards were unable to weave their way through the defence.

Redlands shared a good percentage of the possession and showed glimpses of promise as they built play through the midfield.

The Strikers came out firing in the second half, knowing they needed to maintain their 1-0 lead in order to go ahead of Gold City on goal difference.

Redlands were not going to allow Strikers to extend their lead as their defence continued to keep their forwards at bay.


The Strikers best chance of the half came as Stewart caught Edgar off his line from 40 yards out but his shot founds its way onto the roof of the net.

The Strikers defence were able to keep fast paced Redlands players, Douglas, Feli Sheriff and Alex Warrilow from combining for any real chance and allowed little movement for creative play.

As always, Redlands mounted a late comeback in stoppage time as captain Michael Ryan climbed high above the pack for a header, only for Strikers goalkeeper Zac Speedy to gather the chance.

Matt Gordon made his return to the field from the bench after a lengthy period out of the side after fracturing his collarbone in round three against SWQ Thunder.

Redlands is currently out of top four contention for the finals series this season, sitting in ninth position on the ladder with two matches remaining.

Redlands United will be back at the Cleveland Showgrounds for their last home game of the season on Friday as they face Brisbane City FC from 7 pm.

Redlands United Football Club - Waterloo Street, Cleveland - Phone (07) 3821 2831
Website by Ponderink