Over 35 Div 1 Grand Final Winners

Huge congratulations to our Over 35 Div 1 team (Redlands Old Devils) for winning the Grand Final. Thanks to Chris Jones for the report on the victory.

Well the mighty Redlands Old Devils took part in yet another grand final this evening hoping to finally end their poor run of results at the big dance. The Devils started slowly but were not really troubled by their opponents Brisbane City. The reds had a few half chances as the half went on and continued to keep city from getting in to dangerous positions by working hard at keeping their shape and pinching plenty of ball from them in the midfield.

The reds continued to work hard and finally created a great opportunity for John Weatherby who turned back inside on to his left foot and buried the chance past the city keeper. Half time came and the reds came out in the second half leading and continued to harass and frustrate the opposition whilst at times creating a half chance. It was part way through the second half when a combination of a poor backpass from Ian and the fact Les doesn't like to move far from his goal line saw the city striker nip in and the ball past Les toward the goal, Paul Hoelscher made a great run and attempted to clear the ball but only managed to hit the post with the ball then crossing the line. 1-1

Redlands continued to push for a winner in normal time with Jonesy having a long range shot go just wide and John Weatherby having another left foot shot with this one skying over the bar. The old devils were then robbed of a penalty with about 10 minutes to go when Šime was dragged down in the box. The linesman flagged for the penalty and the cheating ref twice looked at the linesman and disregarded his advice, to make things worse city broke and went down the other end and nearly broke the devils hearts. not long after this the reds broke again down the right wing and through some nice play saw Kev Rigby played in behind the defence who played a beautiful ball low and hard across the box for Paul Grugan to tap in at the back post. 2-1

There was only 4 minutes left on the clock at this stage and as time ticked down the reds saw themselves win a corner with seconds left. The cross came in and was headed away by the defence towards Spanner who controlled and then shot as the whistle went to end the game. His shot flew through the box full of players and then hit the back of the net. I think we can maybe give it to him.....naaaah end score 2-1.

On behalf of all of the team I would like to thank all of the support we have had from our families tonight and throughout the year. It is an amazing feeling to win the GF after having lost 6 over the years, pity we let the league slip but gives us something to fight for next year. Onwards and Upwards.