Redlands Outplay Mitchelton in FQPL

After Friday night’s storms settled down Redlands United hosted Mitchelton FC in the previously washed out Round 2 Football Queensland Premier League (FQPL) fixture at Cleveland’s Compass Grounds.

In contrast to the previous week, right from the kick off Redlands were on the front foot putting Mitchelton under pressure and almost had their 1st goal within one minute when Ben Njie got onto the end of a long free kick into the goal box only to see his shot just squeeze past the post.

Redlands quick ball speed and overall speed of play continued to outpace and put Mitchelton under pressure. Their brand of quick one touch football created plenty of opportunities but the Red Devils just could not find a way to put the ball into the net.

In the 36th minute Njie was put through on goal only to have the goal ruled out for offside. It was however a sign of what was to come.

On 38 minutes the deadlock was broken after some great lead up by Guil Santana and James Bonomi, Ryo Emoto calmly slotted the ball past the despairing keeper.

The Red Devils continued to mount pressure and created further opportunities but were unable to add to the scoreline which at half time remained Redlands 1 Mitchelton 0.

As the 2nd half started Mitchelton came out strong trying to work their way back into the game however the Redlands defense maintained their form and with keeper Joel D’Cruz in fine form in goals, Redlands were able to repel Mitchelton's attacking forays.

In the 58th minute Angus Broderick sent in a long throw towards the Mitchelton goal, the ball was headed through to captain Gabriel Hawash who turned and fired the bowl past the keeper to extend the Red Devil's lead.

The game continued in the same vane with Redlands pushing forward and Mitchelton trying to counter until the 85th minute when Mitchelton were awarded a penalty but were unable to convert. In the next play Redlands moved the ball up field and Guil Santana was put through the defensive line to calmly extend the lead to 3-0.

As the game moved into extra time Redlands keeper D’Cruz launched a long free kick into the attacking zone which Man of the Match, Emoto, hit on the volley from outside the box to provide the final score of Redlands United 4 Mitchelton FC 0.

Redlands United Head Coach Graham Harvey was happy with his team’s performance. “A lot better performance tonight. I was highly critical of the boys last week so this week I think it's important to give them credit, without the ball they worked very hard and maintained their shape. In both halves we still had a little dip which is something we will work on. Obviously I’m being overly critical but in the moments we were on top we scored and that’s a sign of a team finding their form. Now we have to ensure we go away to Toowoomba next weekend and continue the work”.

Next weekend Redlands make the trip up the range to take on the in-form SWQ Thunder at Clive Berghofer Stadium in Toowoomba on Sunday with a 3pm kickoff. The Under 23’s are on at 12.45pm.

Redlands Devil’s Guil Santana caused Mitchelton problems all game as he continually looked to use his pace and drive the Red Devils into attack during Friday night’s 4-0 FQPL Men’s victory. Photo Ray Gardner