Dear Parents & Players of “The Academy”.
Over the past 6-12months I have been evaluating the program to ensure it provides the best possible football environment for our young players at Redlands. Part of this was also included in the recent member survey distributed post COVID.
Upon analysis and review there has been quite a disparity this year across the “Academy” teams in terms of talent, player numbers, commitment, coach availability and parental understanding as to the purpose of the program.
Originally this program was implemented to act as a feeder pathway for talented young players to push up in to SAP / NPL teams because they were in a competitive environment designed to stretch and challenge players to progress.
Upon analysis and review there has been quite a disparity this year across the “Academy” teams in terms of talent, player numbers, commitment and parental understanding as to the purpose of the program. Therefore it is my belief that at present the program is not fulfilling its mission.
As a result there will be a re-structure to try to meet the needs of all players to ensure those that wish to push for selection into SAP / NPL pathways are still afforded the chance to train three nights a week and those that wish follow the community pathway have a more flexible approach and importantly the contrast in motivations does not negatively one group more than the other.
Outlined below are the key changes:
1. Re-name - The program will no longer be called “The Academy”. The teams that train twice a week will be known as “The Red” team for that age group. EG/ U12 Red. All other teams in the relative age groups will be given alternative names. The “Red” team will be entered into the highest level of Football Brisbane competition available (Div 1 where possible).
2. Compulsory training nights to be Tuesday & Thursday (unless a coach needs to change). Therefore Red teams will train twice a week for 90 minutes per session.
3. For those players wishing to do three nights training still, there will be an optional third nights training which will be age specific on a Friday night (Times TBC). These sessions will be run by SAP / NPL coaches and will focus on isolated and position specific training (not team).
4. Third session (Fridays) will follow the school terms and run from week 1-9. The last Friday of the school term there will be no session. To enrol for these additional sessions there will be a link on majestri in early January. Payment can be made at the start of each term. Cost per term will be $150
5. Cost to play in the “Red” team will be $650 (inc Kit).
6. Coaching will be by internally trained parents and where possible an external coach (However, this is NO guarantee). Inline with all other Football Brisbane Teams.
7. One “Red” Team will be available from U8-U16 age groups. Expressions of Interest for these teams will be available on majestri.
8. Trials will only be held in early January if there is over subscription. Those players from current “Academy” teams that trial for SAP / NPL that are unsuccessful will be given first preference to join a “Red” team for 2021.
Redlands United has appointed Emilie Rochelet as Football Brisbane Co-ordinator. Emilie will align our football Brisbane programs on and off the field ensuring all club members have the benefit of her considerable technical expertise and experience. Emilie has an elite playing background from Lyon in France. She has an AFC C Youth License and has good knowledge and understanding of our Club and Football Brisbane programs.